WHAT IS PRP AND WHY DO I WANT THIS TREATMENT?
PRP stands for “Platelet Rich Plasma” and is a treatment that has shown to have amazing healing properties. The plasma, often referred to as “liquid gold,” is the part of your blood that is full of stem cells, growth factors, minerals and nutrients that stimulate your body to heal and repair naturally. Think of it as a major “boost” of healing properties to your body!
The wonderful thing about plasma is that it is completely natural. Your body is not being injected with foreign substances, fillers, or chemicals. You can get the results you want naturally.
WHAT ARE FACIAL PRP INJECTIONS OR FACIAL MICRONEEDLING TREATMENTS?
Over time, skin tends to lose elasticity and that “youthful” appearance. This is because of many things like environmental factors (pollution, sun exposure, smoke exposure), nutrition, aging, and genetics. It loses the ability to repair itself after damage and decreases the natural production of collagen and elastin, which is what gives that healthy glow.
Facial PRP injections are where we bring you into the office, draw your own blood, spin it down in our centrifuge machine. Our medical provider (either PA or physician) will inject that plasma back into deep lines and wrinkles of various places of your face. This is to “spot treat” areas that need more collagen to appear healthy again.
Facial PRP micro-needling (also known as the “vampire facial”) is where we again draw your own blood, spin it down in our centrifuge machine, then apply it to the entire face. Our esthetician then uses a machine to create tiny “microneedle” punctures to introduce the plasma into the top layer of the skin.
Both of these treatments stimulate the body’s natural collagen and elastin production, allowing your face to repair itself.
WHICH AREAS OF THE FACE CAN YOU TREAT?
For the PRP injections, we focus on the forehead, “crows feet” of the eyes, deep laugh lines, and the surrounding areas of the lips.
The PRP “vampire” facial can be done on the entire face, backs of the hands, or the decolletage area of the chest and neck.
WHAT ARE SOME COMMON CONDITIONS THAT THIS CAN IMPROVE?
Facial skin conditions that this improves include deep lines and wrinkles, sun damage, uneven skin tone, dark circles under the eyes, and skin that appears “dull” or weathered.
HOW MANY SESSIONS WILL I NEED?
Most patients notice significant improvement with just 1-2 treatments. You can talk with your provider about specific areas of concern, and they can make recommendations prior to scheduling any sessions so that you know exactly what to expect.
IS THIS SIMILAR TO BOTOX AND FILLERS?
While this treats some of the same areas that are treated by Botox and fillers, this treatment lasts longer and harnesses your body’s own natural ability to heal. And because of this, the treatments last much longer
WHAT CAN I EXPECT?
You can expect the appointment to take approximately 30-45 minutes for facial injections, and 1 hour for the “vampire” facial.
You will have a combination of topical numbing cream and numbing injections depending on your treatment.
You will have a list of things that will help you have a better outcome and speedy recovery, which we will provide at the time of booking your appointment.
You may experience some slight bruising for up to 1 week. We do everything that we can to keep this at a minimum and most bruising is easily covered with makeup. We do not inject under the eyes due to bruising, but we will offer micro-needling for dark circles. This is the area that seems to bruise the easiest so talk this over with your provider!
WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME WITH PRP FACIAL INJECTIONS?
You will notice a huge difference in the appearance of your wrinkles immediately after the facial PRP injections. This will be the areas that will fill in naturally with your own collagen and elastin.
After approximately 3 days, the plasma is absorbed, and you may not notice a difference from prior to your procedure. However, over the next 4-6 weeks, your body will stimulate collagen production and begin to fill the lines in again. You will get the full result by 3 months and this effect will last 1-2 years, depending on your other skin factors.
WHEN CAN I EXPECT TO SEE RESULTS?
You will see noticeable results in 4-6 weeks and get maximum benefit at 3 months for the facial injections.
You will see an evening of skin texture and tone just 1-2 weeks after your PRP/ vampire facial.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OR POSSIBLE REACTIONS TO GETTING PRP?
Since PRP is obtained directly from your body and injected back into you on the same day, there typically isn’t any reaction. You may experience some temporary bruising or swelling to the area, but we are not adding anything to the plasma.
WHO CANNOT GET PRP INJECTIONS?
Patients with severe skin disease, cancer, receiving chemotherapy, severe metabolic and systemic disorders, and abnormal platelet function are not able to get PRP injections.
Patients on anticoagulation therapy, underlying infection, and with some autoimmune diseases are also excluded. Please talk with your provider about this.
For any other questions, feel free to schedule a free consultation with our medical provider!
FACIAL PRP INSTRUCTIONS
1) Prior to your treatment
● Make sure you’re eating healthfully, fruits, especially fresh pineapple and blueberries, vegetables and protein
● Stay hydrated, drink a full glass of water 1 to 2 hours before your procedure and again after your procedure.
● Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen for 10 days prior to your procedure. You may use Tylenol products as they will not increase bruising. Check with your doctor if you’re using aspirin for heart problems.
● Do not take the following supplements 10 to 14 days before your procedure: fish oil or flaxseed oil, melatonin, red clover, Saint johns wort, garlic, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, or vitamin E
● Do not drink alcohol 72 hours prior to procedure
● Several naturopathic supplements can reduce your risk for bruising and resolve swelling more efficiently including: Arnica cream, Arnica sublingual tablets
● Avoid systemic steroids, alcohol, and cigarettes for at least one week prior to your procedure
● You may start Arnica pellets:
○ 5 mg three times a day starting two days before your procedure, including the day of
○ Continue for two days after the procedure to decrease the risk of bruising
○ This can be purchased at the office or online
● Ensure that you have not been on Accutane in the past six months
2) Day of the procedure
● Make sure you are well hydrated to make it easier to draw your blood
● Arrive 10 minutes early to your appointment to drink water and review your consent form
● Schedule your follow up appointment for 6 weeks
● Your blood will be drawn by the provider and the area of the face discussed and numbed with lidocaine (injection or cream depending on type of procedure)
● You will receive an ice pack to apply to the area afterwards
● Stay well hydrated when you get home
3) After your treatment
● Apply hyaluronic acid, Arnica cream, any plasma that was sent home with you
● Wait at least six hours before applying make up or sunscreen, but it is preferable to avoid applying anything to the skin (besides Arnica, plasma, or hyaluronic acid) x 48 hours
● Sleep on your back with your head slightly elevated for at least two nights
● Use sunscreen and a gentle moisturizer
● Apply ice to the area, 15 minutes at a time with a cloth barrier, to reduce swelling for the first 48 to 72 hours.
***Things to avoid after your treatment
● Try not to touch the area for at least six hours after treatment
● Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen for pain because it can act as a blood thinner and also inhibit healing properties
● Do not scrub or exfoliate the skin for at least 72 hours after treatment
● Do not drink alcohol for at least 72 hours after your injection (as this could increase bleeding and interfered with collagen production)
● Avoid strenuous exercise for a period of 24 to 48 hours. Light exercise is fine
● Avoid NSAIDs, including Advil, Aleve, ibuprofen, naproxen, Voltaren, and aspirin for 3 to 4 weeks post injection as it will interfere with the beneficial effects of the PRP treatment
● Continue the Arnica supplement until bruising and swelling has resolved
● If you do experience bruising, start bromelain supplement (which is pineapple enzyme) up to 500 mg twice a day starting 2 days AFTER the procedure
Call us immediately if you have any concerns after your treatment.
Please click HERE for our most update to date cash rate pricing. Please note the price difference between our subcutaneous and vampire facial.
HOW TO SCHEDULE?
Please click HERE to schedule online! Please note, our SCW Medical schedule is where you’ll find the option to schedule the PRP Subcutaneous version. The PRP Facial (Vampire facial) has to be coordinated between two providers and can only be schedule by calling in 🙂